United States Keeps Turkey Waiting for the F-35 as S-400 Dispute Refuses to Retire

United States Keeps Turkey Waiting for the F-35 as S-400 Dispute Refuses to Retire

The United States has maintained a long-standing restriction preventing Turkey from receiving the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II after Ankara purchased Russia’s S-400 air-defence system, a decision that has turned one of NATO’s most expensive fighter programmes into an unusually complicated diplomatic waiting room. The original removal came in 2019, when Washington argued that operating the Russian system alongside the F-35 could expose sensitive information about the aircraft’s capabilities to Moscow.

But the story has taken a surprising turn in 2026. President Donald J. Trump has expressed willingness to explore Turkey’s return to the F-35 programme, while U.S. officials have simultaneously stressed that American law still requires Ankara to resolve the S-400 issue before the aircraft can be transferred. In other words, Washington appears to have opened the door — but the legal padlock is still firmly attached.

United States Draws the Line Over Turkey’s Russian Missile System

The United States removed Turkey from the multinational F-35 programme after Ankara proceeded with the Russian S-400 purchase despite repeated American warnings. Turkey had been both a planned F-35 customer and an industrial partner, producing hundreds of components for the aircraft. The Pentagon said Turkish participation would be unwound and its production work shifted to alternative suppliers.

Satirically speaking, the F-35 relationship became a classic case of “you can have the fighter, just not while keeping the other fighter’s friend.” Turkey wanted the Russian missile system, Washington wanted the S-400 gone, and the F-35 sat patiently in the corner like a luxury car whose keys had been confiscated by the parents.

United States Reopens the Door — But the S-400 Holds the Key

The United States has now been discussing possible ways for Turkey to regain access to the F-35 programme. In July 2026, President Trump said Washington would lift sanctions on Turkey and indicated that the F-35 question was being reconsidered. Vice President JD Vance subsequently said officials were reviewing how Turkey could meet the legal requirements necessary for an F-35 sale.

Yet the United States has made clear that the S-400 remains the central obstacle. A July 22 State Department response to Congress said Turkey had not yet met the legal conditions for receiving F-35 aircraft, including requirements concerning the Russian system. Meanwhile, U.S.-Turkish discussions have reportedly examined possible ways of resolving the S-400 issue, including transferring or otherwise disabling the system.

The United States and Turkey therefore remain locked in an unusual defence-policy drama: Ankara wants the F-35 back, Washington appears increasingly interested in finding a path forward, but the S-400 continues to occupy the starring role. OGM News NG will continue watching the negotiations, the legal requirements and President Trump’s next move, because in this particular diplomatic theatre, the F-35 may be ready to fly long before the paperwork is ready to let it leave the hangar.


Discover more from OGM News NG

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Discover more from OGM News NG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading