Plateau killings don again put Nigeria security matter under international microscope as United States Congressman Chris Smith accuse the Nigerian government of failing to adequately protect citizens and hold perpetrators accountable. The US lawmaker, who chairs the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Africa, say enough is enough and insist say Nigeria government must fulfil its basic responsibility of protecting the people.
The statement come after fresh bloodshed for Plateau State, especially around Mangu Local Government Area, where communities don suffer deaths, destruction of houses and farmland, displacement and renewed fear of reprisals. For residents wey don see violence return again and again, the question no be whether government fit issue condolence statement; na whether security go reach them before the next gunshot.
US Lawmaker Fires Warning Over Plateau Violence
Smith’s latest criticism follow reports of two deadly incidents around Mangu. According to Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Information, at least 23 people were reportedly killed during an August 17 attack on Jwak Maitumbi community, while about 45 residential shelters were said to have been destroyed. The ministry also noted that the 23-death figure had not been officially confirmed by the Plateau State Police Command at the time of its report.
Smith, however, focused on the broader security failure. In his August 21 statement, he said Christians continue to be killed despite what he described as denials by Nigerian government actors, and called for immediate protection of vulnerable communities and prosecution of perpetrators. He also criticised government spending on improving Nigeria’s image in Washington, arguing that more resources should instead go towards protecting Nigerians.
Plateau Killings Get Bigger Than One Attack
The recent Plateau killings no happen inside empty security space. The state has suffered repeated attacks linked to long-running disputes involving farmers, herders, land, resources, communal tensions and reprisals. Reuters reported that at least 25 people were killed in an August 18 attack in Plateau, with fears that the violence could trigger another cycle of retaliation.
At the same time, government and security agencies have not been completely inactive. Police have announced increased deployment in affected areas and vowed to identify, arrest and prosecute those responsible, while earlier in June, President Bola Tinubu ordered permanent security reinforcement around NIPSS in Kuru after an attack there. These responses show that security operations are taking place, but the repeated attacks raise the harder question of whether the measures are proactive enough to prevent violence before innocent people become victims.
Another important point be say casualty figures and descriptions of individual attacks can change as investigators gather information. That one matter because Plateau violence fit quickly turn from one attack into reprisal, with different communities giving different accounts of who started the trouble. Government therefore need transparent investigations, protection for witnesses and victims, and justice based on evidence—not assumptions based on religion or ethnicity.
For Plateau residents, Plateau killings no be foreign-policy argument or congressional debate; na real people losing relatives, houses, farms and their sense of safety. The challenge for Nigeria government now na to prove through measurable action—not another round of promises—that citizens for vulnerable communities truly get protection. OGM News Pidgin go continue to monitor the investigations, security response and any fresh developments.
Table of Contents
Discover more from OGM News NG
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
