Xenophobia don again enter serious spotlight as Nigeria continues efforts to protect its citizens caught inside renewed anti-foreigner tension in South Africa. The latest report say Federal Government don evacuate another 83 Nigerians from the country, adding another chapter to the growing story of Nigerians choosing safety and home over remaining inside an increasingly uncomfortable environment.
But make we put the matter for correct perspective: Nigeria had already completed a major voluntary evacuation programme in July, when government announced that 1,490 Nigerians had been brought back through seven batches involving Air Peace and South African Airways. The operation followed security concerns linked to attacks against foreign nationals, including Nigerians.
Evacuation Don Become Emergency Lifeline
The fresh evacuation report comes against the background of a much larger operation that started in June. Government figures show say the first batch brought 258 Nigerians home on June 10, followed by further flights that carried hundreds more. By July 15, the fifth government-arranged flight alone brought 305 returnees to Lagos, taking the officially announced total to 1,490.
The Federal Government said several agencies were involved in the process, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria, NiDCOM, NEMA, Nigeria Immigration Service, FAAN and Port Health Services. Government also described the repatriation as voluntary and humanitarian. In other words, this no be case of somebody simply waking up one morning and shouting, “Everybody enter plane!” — the returnees were people affected by security concerns and those who chose to come home.
Xenophobia And The Bigger Diplomatic Wahala
The real problem behind the xenophobia story goes beyond one flight or one group of returnees. Nigerian officials have accused South African authorities of not doing enough to prevent repeated attacks, while South African officials have rejected xenophobia and discrimination and said criminal behaviour should be handled through the law rather than vigilante violence. Recent diplomatic discussions between both countries have focused on reducing tension, improving protection for foreign nationals and pursuing accountability.
Nigeria has also raised concerns about compensation for Nigerians whose lives, businesses or property were affected by the violence. At the same time, the Nigerian government has urged its citizens abroad to remain law-abiding, register with Nigerian diplomatic missions and maintain contact with them. That part important because the debate must not turn into the dangerous idea that every Nigerian in South Africa is either automatically a criminal or automatically a victim. Each allegation deserves evidence, and every innocent person deserves protection.
For now, the continuing xenophobia crisis leaves Nigeria with a difficult balancing act: protect citizens immediately, demand accountability from South Africa, preserve bilateral relations and still make sure Nigerians who remain there can live and work without fear. Evacuation can rescue people from danger, but e no fit by itself cure the disease. The real victory go come when Nigerian citizens can stay abroad safely, obey the law and return home because dem choose to—not because xenophobia chase them to the airport.
Table of Contents
Discover more from OGM News NG
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
